One-day Technical Self-Rescue for Climbers program, presented by the American Alpine Institute, is an intensive one-day seminar on improvised multi-pitch rock rescue techniques. Participants study a series of haul, lower, rappel and rope-climbing systems and then apply them to a variety of practical scenarios. Individuals who complete this rock-rescue program should be able to apply these skills to a wide array of complex high-angle problems. There will be a 8:2 student-to-instructor ratio. All instructors are AMGA Certified Rock and Alpine Guides.
- Participants should have recent (within one-year) multi-pitch climbing experience.
- Lead climbing ability is not required.
- Water and Food for the Day
- Backpack, with appropriate clothing for the day.
- Climbing Helmet and Harness
- 5 Locking Carabiners
- 6 Non-Locking Carabiners
- 1 Cordellete (6 or 7mm, 18-21-feet long)
- 1 Belay Device (Auto-Blocking/Plaquette Style Preferred)
- 2 Shoulder Length (24”) Sewn Slings
- 2 Double-Shoulder Length (48”) Sewn Slings
- 1 Auto-Block Cord (AKA Hero Loop) – Commercial Hollow Blocks are Preferred
- Belay Gloves (optional)
- Rock Shoes**
**It’s unlikely we’ll need rock shoes, but it might be nice to have them.
Cost:$190 – includes lunch
Two sessions of this class are being offered:
- Session 1 – June 9, one day before the main conference
- Session 2 – June 10, 2021, immediately before the main conference
Jim Mediatore — American Alpine Institute Guide
Elias Jordan — American Alpine Institute Guide
The American Alpine Institute is a climbing school and guide service that operates in eight states and in sixteen countries. The Institute provides programming in climbing education, mountaineering, backcountry skiing, avalanche education, high-angle rescue, backcountry skills, and in Leave No Trace techniques. AAI provides mountain education in these topics at all levels, from beginner to advanced; and provides training to both climbers and skiers who wish to excel in the mountains, as well as to those who work professionally or volunteer in mountain environments. To learn more about the American Alpine Institute, log onto: http://www.alpineinstitute.com. We thank the American Alpine Institute for being a sponsor of the 2021 MRA conference.
The American Alpine Institute is also speaking at the Main Conference on June 11 and helping with the SAR Olympics on June 12. Register for the for pre-conference and the Main Conference!